Reese F. Lukei enlisted in the Navy in 1927 and reported to Norfolk for basic training in July. Lukei kept a typewritten diary of his Navy career for the next 20 years - through 1947. This page, his first entry, provides an interesting look at the early Naval Station. Note that Naval Station headquarters is called "the Glass house." Vaccination for typhoid and small pox required a quarantine that lasted almost one month. Click on the image to enlarge text.